Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Milk Can Table

Last weekend I got a wild hair and decided to tackle a ton of projects that have been sitting in our garage for MONTHS. The hubs was getting a little flustered with all of the junk stacked up in there, so I finally bit the bullet and got down to business.
My mother gave me this milk can who knows how long ago;o). It belonged to one of her friends, and had been painted a taupe color. For the longest time I didn't know what I wanted to do with it, but after wandering thru Lowes the other day, I knew it had to be a table:o)
The table top was around $17...a little more than I would normally pay for something, but I needed the 24" round top so it would look proportional. I used one coat of primer and 2 coats of Cherry Red by Krylon for the paint. Because the top of the milk can was such an odd shape with concave and convex curves, nailing or screwing the table top down wasn't an option. So I decided that liquid nails was the way to go.
Here it is nested between our two chairs:o)
Isn't it so sweet?:o)
Here is the other side of the seating area.
The seat cushions came from Old Time Pottery. The swing was shorter than the cushion, so I wacked the ends off and stitched it back up


Other Projects we have going on around here: 
Here is our BIG work in progress...the hubs has been busy working to create privacy off the back patio. This is Stage 1. 
He has done a FANTASTIC job!
 The side of the house

My container garden:o)
can't wait to "harvest" these veggies!!
I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

Participating in:

13 comments:

Keep Stitchin' said... Best Blogger Tips

Great idea! And you have a beautiful yard! Sometimes it is fun to have our hands forced and get something done; I'm often surprised at how inspired I get and keep working on things!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great idea! I have an old milk can that is in the corner of our basement (and has been for YEARS) and I'm thinking this would be a great project to do! Thanks for posting! (And yes, my first thought was the concave, uneven top -- great idea to use liquid nails!)

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it!!!! I would love to sit out there with you all for a nice long visit. :) Tell J he's doing a good job with the backyard. You make a great team!

~Robin~ said... Best Blogger Tips

I am in LOVE with your privacy panels! They're gorgeous! I recently transformed my old milk can into a house number thingamajig. My original plan had been similar to yours. I was going to do a removable table top with a little something-something extra. After seeing yours done, I might need to find another milk can. Soon!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

What did you use for the top of your tables?

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@AnonymousThere is a round table top sold at home improvement stores that is pre-made. I just used liquid nails to attach it.

Marsha said... Best Blogger Tips

Would you have a pattern for the swing and chairs? I would love to have the pattern to see about hiring someone to make me some. Also, the milk can is a neat idea! Love it all!

Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business said... Best Blogger Tips

@MarshaHey Marsha! We purchased the swing and chairs off of craigslist, so we don't have a pattern...sorry! Thanks for visiting:o)

Kimberly Merritt said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't find the round top anywhere. I went to lowes and home depot neither had them. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

We just got a new deck built and I needed a little table for it. We were digging through stuff to try to come up with an idea to build something and found our milk cans. I figured someone had to have had this idea before so I googled it and found you - the second I saw that red table I knew it was perfect. Went to Lowes a few hours later and got the top and the paint - thanks!!!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

This is fabulous! I just bought a milk can for $3 and wasn't quite sure what the heck to do with it, but love the 'vintage' look. I'm going to do my best to make it into a table (I'm not exactly handy!). I have no idea what liquid nails is, but I will look up the product! Thanks again for posting...

Gail Wilson said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't know if you monitor comments on old posts, but I'm curious to know if you still have this milk can table?
gail

myrepurposedlife {at} gmail.com

stephanie said... Best Blogger Tips

This may seem like a silly question, but which of the "liquid nails" products did you use? I had never heard of such a thing, but once online I saw they have several products in their inventory.